4.9 C
New York
Home Blog Page 1265

Philly Shipyard Delivers Largest US-Built Container Vessel to Matson

0

Philly Shipyard, Inc. (PSI), the sole operating subsidiary of Philly Shipyard ASA (Oslo: PHLY), delivered the first of two 3,600 TEU Aloha Class containerships that PSI is building for Matson Navigation Company, Inc. (Matson).

The vessel, named ‘Daniel K. Inouye,’ is the 29th vessel built at Philly Shipyard in the company’s 20 year history and is the largest containership ever built in the United States. Measuring 850 feet long, it is built with dual fuel engines that can be adapted to use liquefied natural gas (LNG) and is designed to operate at speeds in excess of 23 knots.

It is an honor to deliver this vessel today to our returning customer Matson, and leave our mark on the industry with the largest containership built in the U.S.” remarked Steinar Nerbovik, Philly Shipyard’s President and CEO. “We are grateful for Matson’s confidence in our talented men and women who brought the vessel to life, and are proud to satisfy the needs of our customer with another quality vessel.”

Currently, the shipyard is in the process of constructing the second 3,600 TEU Aloha Class containership for Matson with a planned delivery in Q1 2019.

Source:hellenicshippingnews

Port of Los Angeles Issues Statement on Box Incident

0

Because our facilitation of a safe and secure supply chain is top priority at the Port of Los Angeles, the incident involving an export-bound shipping container that exploded inside a marine terminal storage area here on October 30 is of paramount concern to the Los Angeles Harbor Department and Los Angeles Port Police. Preliminary analysis by the Los Angeles Port Police Hazardous Materials Unit, Los Angeles Police Department Bomb Squad and United States Coast Guard indicates that a form of combustible fuel or other compound was ignited in the sealed container. A thorough investigation continues.

The results of this investigation and recommendations will be reported back to the Board of Harbor Commissioners and the public.

BACKGROUND
At 5:58 p.m. on October 30th, 2018, the Los Angeles Port Police received a call regarding a container explosion at a Port of Los Angeles container terminal. Unified Command was established with the Los Angeles Port Police, Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles Fire Department, US Coast Guard, Customs and Border Protection, FBI, container terminal management and ILWU Labor representatives.

The investigation determined that a 40-foot container was delivered earlier in the day along with 11 other containers from a recycling facility on Terminal Island. The containers were slated for delivery to Taiwan.

The involved container was not marked as containing hazardous materials and the manifest indicated clean scrap iron or heavy melting scrap only.

The remaining eleven containers were located, inspected and determined to be compliant by LA Port Police, LAPD Bomb Squad, US Coast Guard and CBP. The Los Angeles Port Police Hazardous Materials Unit is conducting a thorough investigation. Results will be reported back the Harbor Commission and public.

Procedures at the recycling facility will be reviewed by the Los Angeles Port Police, and the US Coast Guard will review their Facility Security Plan for which they have jurisdiction.  

Rostock suffers Hornsea monopile crash

0

Investigations are underway into how a monopile foundation slipped out of its sling during loading onto both SAL Heavylift crane vessel Svenja and Rostock port infrastructure.

Local police said the monopile was being lifted by an onboard crane on 31 October when the incident occurred and came to rest partially on the vessel deck and the adjacent Pier 10, damaging both.

Svenja was loading EEW-built monopiles for delivery to Orsted's 1.2GW Hornsea 1 wind farm in the North Sea.

An Orsted spokeswoman said two monopiles have been damaged as a result of the accident, however, the company anticipates that there will be “no significant impact on (the) project schedule”.

One crew member onboard the vessel suffered bruising to an arm but returned to work following a check up, she added.

The cause of the accident has yet to determined, the police said. 

Local authorities have closed the pier and the port area and ordered the ship to stay in place.

Source:renews

CMA CGM to implement low sulphur surcharge in China

0

CMA CGM announced that as from October 1st, 2018, the 0.50% sulphur limit will be applicable to the ports of Shanghai and Ningbo in the People's Republic of China. For this reason the company will implement low sulphur surcharge to these areas.

As CMA CGM explained, it decided to implement low sulphur surcharge to Shanghai and Ningbo from November 15th, 2018, which is the date of loading in the origin ports, in order to ensure the sustainability its services.

In these two ports the 0.50% sulphur limit is applicable from October 1st, while in other Chinese ports, the sulphur cap will apply from January 1st, 2019.

In addition, ahead of the global sulphur cap in 2020, CMA CGM announced that it will use LNG to power some of its future container ships (9 ships on order), resulting in a 99% reduction in sulphur emissions, while it will also order several scrubbers for its ships.

These measures represent a major additional cost estimated at an average of 160 USD / TEU. This additional cost will be taken into account through the application or adjustment of fuel surcharges on a trade-by-trade basis.

Another shipping giant, Maersk, informed that it will change the fuel adjustment surcharge ahead of the 2020 sulphur cap.

The new Bunker Adjustment Factor (BAF) aims at recovering the Maersk Line costs of compliance with the global sulphur cap which enters into force on 1 January 2020.

To allow customers to familiarise with the changed formula, Maersk Line’s BAF surcharge will be introduced on 1 January 2019.

Source:safety4sea

Ghana starts construction of LNG import project

0

Ghana’s LNG import project has started construction, as two vessels were contracted to store and regasify the fuel by 2020. The LNG terminal will have the capability of importing 2 mtpa, leaving 0.3 mtpa of supplies for further negotiations.

Namely, China Harbour Engineering Company has started the construction phase, which is taking place on a marina, along with a Floating Regasification unit (FRU) and a Floating Storage Unit, Reuters informed.

This project is part of Ghana's attempts to start an LNG import project, in a time when two LNG vessel operators, Golar and Hoegh, withdrew because of delays in the contracts. Nevertheless, this time the contracts are final.

In addition to the beginning of the construction, the project is not subject to finance or any other pending permit.

Russian Rosneft is expected to source the LNG, according to a 12-year deal with Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, in order to supply 1.7 million tonnes a year, despite the fact that the project had previous LNG suppliers waiting.

The terminal will be importing 2 million tonnes a year (mtpa), meaning that 0.3 mtpa of supplies remain to be negotiated or are free for spot deliveries.

Source:safety4sea

Port of Valencia announces new terminal by 2050

0

The Port of Valencia has released specifications for the construction and operation of a new container terminal in the Northern Extension of the Port of Valencia, through an administrative concession. The terminal is expected to have been built at the port of Valencia by 2050.

The new container terminal aims to improve the Port of Valencia as an import/export and transit port, by adding to the existing terminals' capacity to accommodate the expected container traffic at the port of Valencia by 2050.

The new terminal will have the latest technology for sustainable operations and aspires to provide more competitive services to reinforce the role of the port of Valencia in the western Mediterranean.

The terminal will have the following characteristics:

  • Capacity to service the largest ships in the future (ULCS,> 24,000 TEU);
  • Greenfield development, suitable for the concept of an automated terminal;
  • Offer the highest standards in terms of innovation, flexibility and sustainability;
  • Offer excellent connectivity to the import/export and transit markets, positioning itself within the mixed port market.

The terminal will also have a berthing line of up to 1970 m, as well as a draft of 20 metres, an compacted yard of about 137 hectares, and a maritime access channel with a draft of 22.50 m.

Moreover, the new terminal will include connecting roads and railways between the site and the general port network, in order to improve its accessibility to the port area. The quay will be granted as a concession.

Finally, the tenderers wanting the terminal must consider that it must include a minimum of 800 m berthing line and 49 hectares.

Source:safety4sea

USCG receives 20th application for BWMS type approval

0

The US Coast Guard Marine Safety Center received its 20th application for type approval for the Aquarius UV Ballast Water Management System, manufactured by Wärtsilä Water Systems Ltd.

MSC will review the application for compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations in 46 CFR 162.060. Once it has been determined that the application meets the requirements, the MSC will issue a type approval certificate.

On October, the USCG received its 19th application for the UV Compact Clean Ballast Water Management System, manufactured by DESMI Ocean Guard A/S. During October as well, the USCG received its 18th application for the NK-O3 BlueBallast II Plus Ballast Water Management System, manufactured by NKBMS Co. Ltd. During September, the USCG received its 17th application for the NK-O3 BlueBallast II Ballast Water Management System, manufactured by NKBMS Co. Ltd.

So far, Hyundai Heavy Industries (Korea), Wärtsilä Water Systems (England), BIO-UV Group (France), Samsung Heavy Industries Co (Republic of Korea), Techcross (Republic of Korea), Optimarin (Norway), Alfa Laval(Sweden), TeamTec Ocean Saver (Norway), Sunrui (China), Ecochlor (USA) and Erma First (Greece) have won the USCG type approval.

During the last GREEN4SEA Conference, Mr. Juha Kiukas, Sales Director, Trojan Marinex, noted that the BWMS market is currently becoming more mature and around 20 Type Approvals may be expected up to 2019.

Source:safety4sea

 

Ferry Builder Austal Hit by Cyberattack

0

Australian ferry and defense shipbuilder Austal reported Thursday that it has been hit by a cyberattack. An unknown offender managed to steal internal data, including some staff contact information and unspecified data affecting a "small number of stakeholders."

The firm emphasized that its ship design drawings for vendors and customers are neither sensitive nor classified, without specifying whether any drawings may have been taken.

Austal said that the attacker attempted to engage in extortion using the stolen information and tried to sell it online. In line with its company policy, Austal did not respond to extortion offers, the firm said. 

The firm, which builds the U.S. Navy's Independence-class Littoral Combat Ship and the Expeditionary Fast Transport, said that there were no indications that the data breach had national security implications. "Austal's business in the United States is unaffected by this issue as the computer systems are not linked," the company said. 

The Australian Cyber Security Centre and the Australian Federal Police are investigating the attack, and the Australian Department of Defence is providing technical assistance. “This incident reinforces the serious nature of the cyber security threat faced by defence industry, and the need for industry partners to put in place, and maintain, strong cyber defences,” said the Department of Defence in a statement. Austal holds the contract to build and maintain two patrol boat classes for Australian military and government operators. 

Austal said that the attack had no effect on its day-to-day operations, and that its data systems have been secured and brought fully back online. 

Source:maritime-executive

Royal Caribbean to Offset Emissions with U.S. Windfarm

0

Royal Caribbean Cruises has signed an agreement with Southern Power, a wholesale energy provider in the U.S., to offset up to 12 percent of its emissions via Southern Power's 200MW Reading Wind Facility. 

The initiative is expected to begin in 2020, and the agreement with Royal Caribbean provides Southern Power with the economic basis to construct the project. The windfarm will be Southern Power's 11th wind facility and is located in Osage and Lyon Counties, Kansas. 

It is the company's first to be validated as a carbon offset project under the Verified Carbon Standard. The renewable energy project is classified as a Virtual Power Purchase Agreement, which doesn’t require Royal Caribbean to be located in the same grid region as the wind farm, a key to the plan because its ships travel to more than 1,000 destinations on seven continents.

The facility is expected to generate roughly 760,000 megawatt hours per year over the duration of the 12-year agreement, which translates to enough clean energy to offset 10-12 percent of Royal Caribbean's annual carbon emissions. 

The project was originally developed by RES who will lead the construction of the project alongside Southern Power. Reading Wind is expected to consist of 62 wind turbines manufactured by Siemens Gamesa. The project is expected to break ground in the second quarter of 2019 and is expected to be complete by the second quarter of 2020. Southern Power will operate and maintain the facility upon completion.

Royal Caribbean was advised on the execution of this agreement by Schneider Electric Energy & Sustainability Services.

Source:maritime-executive

Disney’s First New Orleans Cruise Sells Out in One Hour

0

Disney Cruise Lines' first sailing from Louisiana, a four-day itinerary departing New Orleans in early 2020, was so popular that it sold out in about an hour. 

According the local Sun Herald, the 2,700-passenger Disney Wonder sold out immediately for her first four-day voyage from New Orleans to the Western Caribbean. 

"It sold out in one hour. The whole cruise," said local travel agent Brenda Walker, speaking to the Sun Herald. 

Disney Wonder will be home-ported in New Orleans for six voyages in February and March 2020. She joins Norwegian Cruise Lines' Norwegian Breakaway and Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas, which will both be homeported in New Orleans for the winter season. Carnival Cruise Lines also offers services departing New Orleans aboard the Carnival Triumph and Carnival Valor. 

After New Orleans, the Disney Wonder will sail for San Diego, where she will offer trips to the Mexican Riviera. She will also be the first Disney vessel to visit Hawaii in five years when she calls Honolulu in April 2020. She is not a Jones Act vessel, so she will not be able to offer home-ported voyages within and between the Hawaiian islands; instead, she will make one port call in Honolulu on a round trip voyage from Vancouver, Canada. 

Source:maritime-executive